Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Turn of the (last) Century or Depression Era? I don't know!


Join in the Tablescape Fun!


Well, it is the time of the week where we get down the good china, or the daily china, or in my case this week, the good, old, "new" china! My sister, Tammy, surprised me with several pieces of this china:


 Isn't it great?
 All it has to say is "Johnson Brothers" and I am hooked!
 It is hard to tell from the pics, but the plates have this wonderfully, crackly, stained patina to them that I just love. Looking at the pieces makes me wonder- where did they come from? Who ate off them and when? Did they belong to some wealthy family at the turn of the (last) century? Did some sweet Depression family serve their meager meals on them in celebration of better times to come? In the past year since I have been joining Tablescape Thursday, I have collected a lot of "new" plates that have a history? What is the history of your plates?
The center candle was a Christmas gift from a co-worker.
 Oh, and my sister also gave me the napkin rings- what can I say, she has it bad- lucky for me she doesn't do much pink or gold! I think she knew I would absolutely love these dishes! Thanks, Tammy!






As always, be sure and check out Between Naps on the Porch where Susan so graciously hosts our fun tablescape party every week!


Much love,

10 comments:

Domestic Diva said...

It is absolutely gorgeous! Knew you would do a beautiful table with these dishes! Love the narrative!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I laughed when I read what you had to say about being hooked by the words "Johnson Brothers." Me too! I just love everything they make. Lovely table you have here.

Jacqueline said...

These plates are exquisite. I love the shape and the beaded edge and the simple and elegant pattern in the center. Such a pretty table and it just glows in the candlelight.

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

I really like the shape of the salad plate. Such a pretty table!

Donnie said...

I love your tablescape today. Johnson Brother's always have such beautiful items. Just lovely.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, what a lovely table, and what a sweet sister to gift you with those dishes! I love the "Prince of Wales" feather motif in the center of them. You are really going to enjoy these!

Cute, CUTE pic of you with that little Santa on your header, too!

Happy Outdoor Wednesday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Well, I meant Tablescape Thusday! That's what happen when you get old and your mind drifts while typing! LOL!

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness, that's just beautiful with all the gold! I love the way it sparkles in the candlelight.

I'm with you about Johnson Bros. BTW. I'm pretty much in love with every JB pattern myself.

Just lovely.
And I love your header with the grandson in the Christmas picture. How cute is that?

Entertaining Women said...

Your new/old plates are absolutely wonderful! Aren't sisters just the very best. My sister has gifted me with some of the most wonderful things for my tablescape passion. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This is so pretty -- especially in the candleglow -- aren't sisters wonderful? Love those wonderful dishes.