Thursday, April 23, 2009

Remembering JP II

This is a Facebook note that I wrote earlier this month on Pope John Paul II.

Yesterday, April 2, 2009 was the 4th anniversary of the death of (my first!) Pope John Paul II. He was sick for quite awhile before his death, and as it happened, I was at Mass the day of his death when I heard the news. We were at a different church than we usually attend- Vigil Mass and it was packed. I leaned over to my husband and said- I have a feeling the Pope has died. I was right. At the time I had just come into the church the previous Easter, 2004. Even before I was Catholic, I had a deep appreciation for the Pope. I don't know why, I just did. I guess I had heard great things about him and there was always something in me that so longed for a devotion like I knew a Pope had to have. Since becoming Catholic, I have indeed heard wonderful things about him- from the World Youth Days that he instituted to his writings on the Faith to the pure love he had for his fellow man and of course his extreme Catholic Faith. I watched a movie on his life that was just amazing. We are blessed to have had such an amazing Pope! What a gift! (I also remember crying my eyes out the day that Pope Benedict was (finally) selected as Pope John Paul II successor- I don't know why, I just had this amazing happy feeling).

On the radio yesterday I heard a tribute to the late Pope and I just wanted to share this- it was something I always want to remember. One of his dear friends was at his bedside on the day that he died. Not long before dying, John Paul II told his friend, "I am happy, you should be too!" Incredible, or what?

I love being Catholic!!!

No comments: